Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Torske Klubben


This past weekend I had the pleasure to attend a meeting of the Torske Klubben This is a Norwegian Mens club that is quite literally a fish lunch with a large crowd of extremely successful Norwegian immigrants and Norwegian Americans.
Since the club was founded in 1933, the menu has been the same: torsk (cod) with melted butter, flatbread, coffee and, of course, two shots of aquavit — one shot to start the meal and one shot to end it.
Blaine Harstad, my wifes father was a member for decades and had invited me to attend in the past. The club is rooted in tradition and also in the idea that ties with Norway and Minnesota are important and must be maintained. The biggest contribution of the club is its Scholarship fund that compliments the Fulbright Scholarship, in fact I learned at the meeting that the Torske Klubben has given out more money here in Minnesota than the Fulbright has when you factor in it has been doing it since 1933. The men at this club are truly amazing. At this single meeting I met Walter Mondale, the Ambassador of Norway and many many other incredibly smart individuals. I thank my friend Larry Molesather for inviting me.

1 comment:

samh said...

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/simpsons_stonecutters_freemason_satire.jpg